Gloria Dei Lutheran Church
35 West Fairmount Avenue Lakewood NY  14750

(716) 763-8979 or 665-2102 egloriadeiluthsec@stny.rr.com

TO REDUCE FOR YOUR SCREEN SIZE    HOLD COMMAND & MINUS(-) KEYS

Sub-Title

History of Gloria Dei Church

Sunday School

            Gloria Dei Lutheran Church was established in 1953 to provide for a congregation of sixty-two local area residents. They originally met in the Lakewood Memorial Post of the  American Legion lead by Pastor Paul Beck. 
            By 1955 the group had grown to 80 people. They dedicated a small church on the site where our church now stands on Fairmount Avenue, on the hill above the village of Lakewood. Beginning in 1968 Pastor Kay Olson lead the congregation as  they began construction of their new sanctuary. Individual members gave gifts for the commission of the stained glass windows on the front of the church and the sides of the altar. Pearson's Stained Glass created a vignette depicting stories from the life of Christ. 
            In 2007 the education building behind the sanctuary, part of the original church, was replaced by an inviting new facility, "The Judith Hall" thanks to a generous donation from John Anderson in memory of his wife. The hall consists of a social area with a stage and kitchen.
            Over the years a variety of pastors have been called to serve  Gloria Dei Church.  After Pastor Paul Beck and Pastor Kay Olson mentioned above, Pastor James Davis (1969-1971) focused on youth membership. Pastor Ken Soderquist (1971-1982) went on to serve the jail chaplancy. Pastor Kevin Ogilvie (1982-1987) came to us directly from seminary. Pastor Fredrick Holst (1987-1997) was followed by Pastor Elaine Quincy (1997-1999).
             In 1999 our church family came to be lead by
Pastor Timothy Hoyer. Pastor Hoyer brings comfort
and reassurance to us all with Jesus' message of
goodness in the service of one another. A few of the
charter members are still among us. More than
three hundred members have been confirmed and
many more baptized over the years.
Sunday school meets about 10:00 AM  during the 9:45 service after the first lesson and childrens sermon are shared with the congregation. Sunday school is taught by Karen Cotton, Bob Ungerer, and Bob Triscari to children primary through secondary school age. Besides their studies they make a great pancake breakfast the fourth Sunday of the month between services.

Angel Circle

Angel Circle meets on the first
Tuesday of the month at 10:00 AM.
The group serves the needs of the
congregation with funeral luncheons & improvements to the sanctuary such as kneeling cushions for the altar. Currently Angel Circle is working on a nativity scene for Advent 2016. We also have fun with a Mother's Day Tea and a traveling Christmas lunch for the members. The past Christmas season Angel Circle held a coat drive and a collection to help The Blue Star Mother's. 

Organist & Choir Director

The organist and choir director has always been an important person in our worship service. Carol Svenson our pianist, organist and choir director is a talented and creative musician. She is a member of the Jamestown Municipal Band and The Ladies First Big Band in Buffalo and always brings out the best in our voices on Sunday morning.
Confirmation Class meets on the second Sunday from September through June with Pastor Hoyer. 

Confirmation Class